Saturday, June 13, 2009

Elimination Communication...hmmm...

Most people really do not understand what these two words put together means...and until yesterday I didnt fully understand them either. It's definately a unique choice of words. Diaper Free definately does it much more justice. Or Natural Infant Hygiene. I like that one too.
When I asked a friend today if she knew what it was she responded" For Problems? You eliminate them by talking them out?" LMAO this made a lot of sense lol.
But actually this set of words is communicating with your infant/toddler how to eliminate their waste out of their body and into a toilet/bowl/outside. Quite fascinating actually.
So I did some reading on it yesterday trying to understand why in the world women would push their babies from BIRTH?!?! Well much to my surprise the one forcing her child would be me! I forced my poor infant to poo on himself! UGH if someone told me to pee in my pants and wait an hour or even 5 minutes I would tell them they were absolutely insane. So why then is this acceptable for our precious newborn babies and/or toddlers?
Apparently the practice of non using diapers is completely normal in plenty other countries and now in many homes in america. Which now makes a TON of sense to me.
As I read the articles and blogs and forum posts on the topic my brain scanned all of my memories with my youngest, raymond. I noticed last week that when he poo's he crawls to me and cries until I figure out that he poo-ed and then I of course change him. So he does know what he is doing and he does know that it is gross. Not to mention he does not want that diaper back on him! He will lay still while I take the diaper off, clean him off, and fold the yucky diaper up. But the moment I start to put the clean diaper on he tries to roll over and run away. And I do NOT blame him! I would do the same thing if not worse if someone was doing this to me!
So I realized EC(elimination communication) is not about "potty training" early, its about LISTENING to your child. They are teaching us when they need to go so that we as parents can get them to the potty until they are able to do so themselves. You'd be amazed at how natural going potty to an infant is. I mean they do it right away lol and if given the chance between the potty and a diaper what would you choose? EXACTLY!
So I have decided to gently give my son opportunities to be diaper free. I started after nap time today, we did 20 minutes outside playing. Much to my surprise he did not have to pee this whole time. I put a cloth diaper on him when I went back inside and when I took him into the bathroom with me to help my older son, Raymond went pee in the CD...Well he screamed and cried and kicked. I believe he was mad because he had just spent 20 minutes dry and free and now he was stuck back in a pee pee diaper.
I then changed him immediately. The cry nearly broke my heart. I had to put a disposable on him as we were going to the store to pick up a few things.
Then after his evening nap, as soon as he woke up I took him outside again to let him play once again diaper free! He loved it! He spent 40 minutes this time. And still no pee. Then we had to help daddy find his running shorts so back into a diaper he went. I didnt feel him pee in it for nearly an hour after this. So he does not pee as constantly as I thought he did...VERY interesting.
I still have no idea as to any cues that he gives BEFORE eliminating his waste. But I do know the aftermath...tears...always tears. So Im pretty sure this is going to become a normal thing for us...diaper free! Oh how my hubbys wallet will enjoy this. Not to mention my darling son will be able to "hang loose".
How do I feel after a day of learning more about my sons body? I feel blessed. Blessed that God gives us other people to learn from. And blessed that he made our babies so intuitive and smart right from the beginning! They know momma daddy and siblings and how to suckle and now I am learning they can very easily learn how to go to the potty and NOT soil their clothes.
Check back frequently to read our journey!

2 comments:

  1. This is just wonderful. I LOVE this post, I'll link to it from my blog in the coming days.

    Please visit my site on EC - it's all about this ancient, gentle and wonderful way of communicating with our babies. It is just soo wonderful to see how you, with an open mind, explored and reflected on this concept and are embracing the ideas! So many people balk at the mere idea, and then denigrate anyone who does it.

    Yep, elimination communication is a cumbersome word, I agree! 'Diaper Free' has people shrieking that one 'can't' use diapers when EC'ing, and infant potty training has people thinking it is like conventional toilet training, sigh. Currently I'm saying EC and Baby Pottying.

    Charndra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes:

    http://www.parttimediaperfree.com/

    I have a lovely introductory guided tour on EC - lots of tips!

    ReplyDelete